Saturday, January 8, 2011

This Post Doesn't Really Pertain To Hair, But Oh Fucking Well!

  Why am I blogging at 12:30 AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning?  Well it all started with the idiot that built my house.  Didn't caulk any edges around the bath tub, didn't finish any of the knotty pine wood walls in my bathroom, and a whole plethora of other stupid things that basically rotted my bathroom over time.  Yum.  So, your favorite barberess has turned home-improvement-dipshit for the weekend.  I've been sanding, pulling away rotted wood, priming, painting, caulking, chain-smoking (I don't smoke, by the way.  I get grossed out by people who do), snorting DND coffee, and sucking down adult beverages.

  While I was priming with B-I-N (shellac based, LETHAL stuff) my brush stiffened up and split like an old cigar stub!  Decided to soak that one in paint thinner, tried another one, SAME GODDAMN THING!  My mom hooked me up with some high quality brushes, they shouldn't be crapping out on me. Several soakings and cleanings later, the brushes are still splitting like Bobby and Whitney... Ike and Tina... Sienna and Jude... you get the picture.

  I'm racking my brain.  Brush bristles are made of the same protein as hair, if they're the quality ones.  Vinegar is a great at-home remedy to smooth and calm the cuticle of hair, so why not brushes?  I put a saucepan on the stove, add some water, vinegar, and baking soda.  I boil the brushes, softly stirring them.  Alternating that and a few cold water rinses to get excess primer out, my brushes are soft and good as new. Took me 10 minutes.  Here's the recipe.  If you're a DIY dipshit like me because you're too fucking cheap and broke to hire a pro, I swear it will come in handy.

1.5 cups water
1.5 cups white vinegar
a shit ton of baking soda

boil for a few, cold water rinse, boil for a few, cold water rinse til the brush looks new again.  
You're fucking welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment